The Role of The Teacher
The Role of The Teacher
The role of the teachers in teaching and learning not only appear as an instructor, as a prominent function for this, but the switch as a coach , counselor and learning manager. This is in accordance with the functions of the future role of the teacher. As a coach, a teacher will play encourages students to master a learning tool, to motivate them to work hard and achieve the highest achievement. The role of the teacher in teaching and learning is very significant, because the role of the teacher in the learning process involves many things such as teachers, classroom manager, supervisor, motivator, counselor, explorers, etc… Which will be presented here is the role of the teacher in teaching and learning are considered the most dominant teachers and classified ads:
- Manager / manager of the class
- Mediator / facilitator
1) The teacher as demonstrator
As a demonstrator, the teacher must master the material or subject matter to be learned and able to develop it, in the sense of always trying to improve its ability to subjects that they teach, as this will greatly determine the learning outcomes achieved by students. One of the things that must be considered by the teacher is that he was a student. This means that teachers must learn constantly. In this way he will enrich himself with a variety of science, lunch in his duties as a demonstrator, to demonstrate what he teaches is didactic. That is, that what is conveyed in teaching and learning is truly owned and controlled by students.
2) Teachers as Classroom Management
Active student involvement in teaching and learning indicates that the learning process goes well. Both go hand in hand, because each has a role that gives effect to each other. Success teacher’s in teaching and learning is determined by the students in learning activities, as well as student success in learning is determined also by the role of the teacher in teaching. To teach is to deliver or transmit the knowledge and views. William Burton argued that teaching means an effort to provide stimulus, guidance, direction, and encouragement to the students so that learning occurs (Rooijakkers, 1990: 1). Muchtar & Samsu, (2001: 39) adds, that in the process of teaching, there must be fair to be achieved by teachers is that students understand, and apply the knowledge they can get. The purpose of teaching is also interpreted as a way to make the desired changes in behavior of a student.
In this case each teacher expects students to learn, both in school hours and after he received the material. According Tagala (2003:12), learning is gaining knowledge of individual activities, behaviors, and skills by learning how to process materials. Teaching and learning process will take place either, if teachers and students alike to understand what materials will be studied resulting in an active interaction in teaching and learning in the classroom and this is the key to success in teaching. Thus the process of learning occurs in students. Learning is a process in which a person’s environment is intentionally organized to allow students also respond to certain situations he faced (Corey, 1986:195)
In view of the students, teacher’s succeed in teaching and learning is the teacher who:
- Not make the students bored and scared
- Have a sense of humor
- Not easily upset
- Wanted to have a dialogue with students
- Value the opinions of students and not easy to blame
- Appreciate the presence of students
- No favoritism toward students
- Master & explain the material well, and understood by students and is willing to expose students back when there was not clear / not yet understood.
Of diverse opinions of students, not one who thinks the success of a teacher in the learning process is complete when the entire class when the competency test. According to their thoroughness in the exam are the responsibility of the students in learning, because it relates to individual success. However, as teachers, we certainly would not relinquish responsibility for student learning outcomes.
In the view of the teachers, the successful teaching and learning process that:
- If students can receive materials / teaching materials and the results fit the expected target,
- If students are enthusiastic to listen and provide in-depth questions about the material they receive and apply it,
- If the program is reached on time, the material can be accepted students, and there is a change in the student
- • If you are able to make the students understand what is being taught by a teacher as well as any changes in students, and they feel comfortable in the teaching and learning process,
- If it can deliver material in a way / method is good and interesting, students understand and respond in a positive, active, and good evaluation results,
- If a classroom atmosphere conducive to learning,
- If there is active interaction in the teaching and learning process, changes occur in all aspects.
Thus, it is not taught successfully merely provide cognitive knowledge, but it should be no change in thinking, attitude, and willingness of students willing to continue learning. The emergence of the spirit of learning in students to seek other sources of learning is one sign that the teachers teach their students succeed. The success of teachers in the learning process is how the students are motivated to want to keep learning, so that they will be men learners. The trick? As teachers we must be willing to open up and see clearly what the expectations of students in us.
3) The teacher as a mediator and facilitator
As a mediator, the teacher should have sufficient knowledge and understanding of media education, because education is a means of communication media in order to further streamline the learning process. Media education is an indispensable basis and be complementary to and is integral to the success of the educational process.
As a facilitator in the learning process, teachers should be able to pursue a useful learning resources and can support the achievement of objectives in teaching and learning, whether in the form of speakers, textbooks, magazines or newspapers.
4) The teacher as an evaluator
In each type, shape, and level of education will be held evaluation, meaning that at certain times always make an assessment of the results achieved, both by the educated as well as by educators. Assessment needs to be done, because the assessments teachers can find success in achieving goals, student mastery of subjects, as well as the accuracy or effectiveness of teaching methods.
Based on the above, the role of the teacher in teaching and learning, are:
- Demonstrators, teachers must master the material or subject matter to be taught and continue to enhance its ability to teach subjects, as this will determine the learning outcomes achieved by students.
- Managing the classroom, teachers are required to make the classroom atmosphere conducive to teaching and learning process can run well.
- Mediators, teachers should have sufficient knowledge and understanding of media education for media education is more effective communication tool for teaching and learning process.
- Evaluator, as teacher-rated achievement goals may know, student mastery of subjects, as well as the accuracy or effectiveness of teaching methods.
The role of the teacher in teaching and learning is very significant, because the teacher in teaching and learning, not just act as a demonstrator, manager / administrator class, mediators, and evaluators, but also act as a trainer (coach), counselor and learning manager.